Online booking is appreciated and we cover the cost of your booking fee. Click here to buy your ticket for The Beasts.
A French couple’s dream of the good life in rural northern Spain descends into all-out war with the locals in Rodrigo Sorogoyen’s superbly acted drama.
A French couple are living their dream of moving to the Galician countryside and setting up their own small farm. Their refusal to sell their land to developers has created tensions with local brothers who want the money for a chance at a new life. Tensions boil over after an act of sabotage leads to increasingly tense and violent confrontations between the neighbours.
Rodrigo Sorogoyen’s engrossing thriller is a slow-burn in the best possible way. Aided by remarkably naturalistic performances, this is a methodical film where the tension builds and builds in a manner that’s utterly compelling. It dominated Spain’s Goya film awards, where it won in nine categories including Best Film.
🏆Dublin International Film Festival, 2023 – Best Film (Dublin Film Critics’ Circle)
🏆Goya Awards, 2023 – Winner of nine awards including Best Film, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor and Best Original Screenplay
🏆César Awards, 2023 – Best Foreign Film
A terrific, gripping drama that will cross cultural borders with ease. – Irish Times
From its very first minute, this searing drama of rural strife, xenophobia and cultural hostility is filled with almost unbearable tension. – Hollywood Reporter
Sorogoyen has made a brilliantly written, superbly acted film with the grave heft of non-fiction: a glimpse of stark truths behind that lush Galician landscape. – Financial Times
Sorogoyen uses long, single-take scenes to capture the explosive buildup of tension; it’s a breathlessly compelling device that showcases the phenomenal quality of the acting. – Observer
- THE BEASTS
- Spain/France 2022 | Language: Spanish/French | 137 minutes | Cert: CLUB
- Director: Rodrigo Sorogoyen
- Cast: Denis Ménochet, Marina Foïs, Luis Zahera, Diego Anido
- Foreign language films are subtitled. Cert: CLUB for over 18s.
- A short film may be shown before the feature.
- Tickets: €8.50/€7 concession
- Cork Cine Club is absorbing cost of online booking fees.
- Book online: https://bit.ly/TheBeasts-26thOct
- Pay at the door by card or cash. Exact change is appreciated.