Online booking is appreciated and we cover the cost of your booking fee. Click here to buy your ticket for Plan 75.
A thought-provoking Japanese drama imagines a world where a country with a low birth rate and dwindling work force takes drastic steps to alleviate the burden of its aging population.
Set in a not-too-distant future, Plan 75 imagines a Japan where citizens over the age of 75 are considered a threat to the country’s economy. A government programme is introduced to encourage and incentivise voluntary end of life. The film follows three characters whose lives are impacted by Plan 75 in very different ways.
A protégé of renowned Japanese filmmaker Hirokazu Koreeda, director Chie Hayakawa handles this sensitive material with a deft hand. Through Plan 75’s science-fiction-tinged conceit, she crafts a humanist story that explores the dangers of neglecting a society’s senior citizens and unveils the beauty and dignity of human life.
Plan 75 may seem like it’s about ageing, but more accurately it is about the importance of community – Screen International
Baisho gets across the creeping despair that morbidity and the loss of community can create — a sensation that lets “Plan 75” double as a consummate entry in pandemic-era cinema. – New York Times
This is an ultra-delicate whisper of a drama… And yet the anger that fringes such bittersweet moments gradually accumulates into a palpable and lingering rage at how good we’ve become at branding cruelty as compassion. – IndieWire
- PLAN 75
- Japan, 2022 | Language: Japanese | 113 minutes | Cert: CLUB
- Director: Chie Hayakawa
- Cast: Stefanie Arianne, Chieko Baisho, Hayato Isomura
- Foreign language films are subtitled. Cert: CLUB for over 18s.
- A short film may be shown before the feature.
- Tickets: €8.50/€7 concession
- Cork Cine Club is absorbing cost of online booking fees.
- Book online: https://bit.ly/Plan75-16thNov
- Pay at the door by card or cash. Exact change is appreciated.