ONLINE BOOKING NOW AVAILABLE.
TICKETS GO ON SALE SUNDAY 5 FEBRUARY AT 10AM.
Our first-ever film from Somalia is a big-hearted and humorous tribute to the power of family.
Guled and Nasra are a loving couple, living on the outskirts of Djibouti city with their teenage son Mahad. However they are facing difficult times: Nasra urgently needs an expensive operation to treat chronic kidney disease. Guled is already working hard as a gravedigger to make ends meet. How will they find the money to save Nasra and can they keep the family together?
Finnish-Somali writer-director Khadar Ayderus Ahmed’s poetic debut is charming and wistful without ever feeling maudlin. It’s a beautiful love letter to the power of family.
A handsome, widescreen fable about family bonds and financial insecurity, this Somali-language film’s simplicity and economy is its power. – Observer [UK]
A film brimming with authenticity that, supported by three riveting performances, highlights how love and family fuel us.– Insession Film
Charming and wistful without ever feeling maudlin, The Gravedigger’s Wife is a beautiful love letter to the power of family. – RogerEbert.com
It’s a gentle, humorous film in Africa’s quietist cinema tradition with grace notes of irony and wit. – The Guardian
Cork filmmaker Sinead O’Loughlin will introduce and screen her short film, Lamb [15 minutes], before the feature.
- The Gravedigger’s Wife [Guled & Nasra]
- Somalia, Finland 2021 | Language: Somali| 82 minutes | Cert: Club
- Director: Khadar Ayderus Ahmed
- Cast: Omar Abdi, Yasmin Warsame
- Foreign language films are subtitled. Cert: CLUB for over 18s.
- Tickets: €8.50/€7 concession
- Cork Cine Club is absorbing all booking fees.
- Book online: https://bit.ly/GravediggersWife
- Pay at the door by card or cash. Exact change appreciated.